Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wilton's Better Baking Series 1

This is the International Center of Cake Artistry's baking room. I've signed up for a 4-week course in Better Baking (Series 1) by Wilton. I've always wanted to learn how to bake and this course is superb for beginners - like me.

The fees are RM600 but starting from July, it's RM750. Well, that explains why this June class is super full! Over 20 students! Anyway, the instructor is Michael Heng and he is assisted by Kelvin and Amanda.They are very helpful and give lots of personalized attention to you.



For each class we learn how to bake 2 different cakes and prepare 2 different frostings/icings - no plain looking cakes here! The first lesson : Butter Cake with Buttercream frosting and Chocolate Fudge Cake.


The instructor will give a demo first before we bake on our own (fully hands-on). Everyone works in pairs on stainless steel kitchen tables.


I like the Kitchenaid mixer - very quiet and steady. Too bad I already bought my Kenwood mixer..... but I don't quite mind another stand mixer around in the kitchen if I bake very very often.... otherwise how to justify the RM2000++ for the Kitchenaid? By the way, my Kenwood basic mixer was below RM1000.


Lots of butter cakes! Mine is the one on the right lower corner, nearest to the camera. Learnt a new method and technique of baking butter cakes - my butter cakes will never be the same again!


This very first class lasted over 7 hours with an hour's break for lunch. This was because we were still new to the environment and have yet to familiarise ourselves. The instructor said it's typical of the first class.


Anyway, this is the butter cake with buttercream frosting. Very very delicious.  Hopefully will be able to duplicate the results at home. Didn't take pics of the chocolate fudge cake - cos was already too tired! Looking forward to the other classes coming up : Red Velvet, Carrot Cake, Butter Pound Cake, Chiffon Cake etc etc etc.

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Just wondering what type of Kenwood mixer do you have? Hand or stand mixer?

Hui-Wearn said...

Hi Yvonne
I own a Kenwood Prospero Stand Mixer.